Dear ISEAns,

Dear ISEAns........At ISEA Singapore I presented an artist talk entitled " I am so off myFace: I used to be the oldest geek grrl in the world but I lost my geek and now I am just the oldest grrl in the world". In 2011 I will attempt to get my geek back. Resplendent in sash proclaiming my status as " Beauty in residence", I will attend events, rub shoulders and participate in the greatest gathering of geeks in the world. I will blog the results.

So if you see me across a crowded room, please HELP ME!!

love Di Ball

MY FABULOUSNESS WAS REJECTED BY ART QUEENSLAND



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sound and perfume....delicious

Emotional Snaphots is a workshop run by Bulgarian artist Emilian Gatsov.

Marly shook her head. How could anyone have arranged these bits, this garbage, in such a way that it caught at the heart, snagged in the soul like a fishhook?
William Gibson, Count Zero

This is an exploratory workshop on the topic of 'sound photographs', snippets, fragments, bits and loops of sound. It will trace the connection between recorded sound and time, memory and emotions. The first syllable of a song, an unfinished phrase from a dialog or the breath someone takes before staring to speak, wind and birds entering and then suddenly leaving just out of nowhere – sounds belonging to a world which always seems placed elsewhere.]....the description

I AM IN HEAVEN!!


sound is like perfume....it is described in notes.
 If you take away the image, the sound can hang in the air.
Brian Eno likened rock music to perfume
clouds of sound/clouds of perfume
the complexity of frequency/the layering of smells

Emilian showed us examples of perfumes that contained contradictions, such as the frankincense and bubblegum one above. It is this very melding of contradicion that can create a way of structuring sound.

etat libre d'orange smells like ..........