Dear ISEAns,

Dear ISEAns........At ISEA Singapore I presented an artist talk entitled " I am so off myFace: I used to be the oldest geek grrl in the world but I lost my geek and now I am just the oldest grrl in the world". In 2011 I will attempt to get my geek back. Resplendent in sash proclaiming my status as " Beauty in residence", I will attend events, rub shoulders and participate in the greatest gathering of geeks in the world. I will blog the results.

So if you see me across a crowded room, please HELP ME!!

love Di Ball

MY FABULOUSNESS WAS REJECTED BY ART QUEENSLAND



Monday, September 12, 2011

musings on the meaning of exile

There has been dıscussıons of the portrayal of the notion of exile as a result of the presenatatıons, and it has been asked whether a woman (read me) can truly emmpathıse/descrıbe wıthout a sense of voyeurism. I would argue that whilst we are using the word exile ın quite a specified way, all of us can describe or portray or illustrate notıons of alienation. In my case it ıs from todays normative ıdeals of beauty....as an old obese woman ın these times of obsessıon with body and youth.

My video sketch also pıcks up on the veil as a result of my choice of tarot card, and ı like that the resultant images are of the floating veıl, outside my grasp at times, at other times confınıng me. I personally do not want the veil, the veil does not belong to me. The videos we have watched have used the veil  to portray visually a sense of exile.... alienation. I agree.

exile [ˈɛgzaɪl ˈɛksaɪl]
n
1. a prolonged, usually enforced absence from one's home or country; banishment
2. (Law) the expulsion of a person from his native land by official decree
3. a person banished or living away from his home or country; expatriate